Resources for practice nurses
We have tools and resources for practice nurses who support people living with or at risk of cancer.
On this page
- Coronavirus guidance for health professionals
- Competency framework for nurses
- Quality improvement resources for primary care
- Cancer Care Review templates
- Oncology and haematology risk assessment tool
- Top tips for primary care professionals
- Macmillan Practice Nurse Course
- Clinical updates for practice nurses
- Innovation in cancer care resources
- Research and evidence
- For your patients
We understand it's a challenging time for healthcare professionals. That's why we're doing whatever it takes to support you with the latest information, training and resources during the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can also access our emotional health and well-being hub to learn about all the ways we're here for you.
We have created a competency framework for nurses who support people living with or affected by cancer. It can be used in any adult care setting and alongside other established frameworks to improve care for patients.
The competency framework focuses on:
- professional skills
- behavioural skills
- experience and qualifications.
The framework also contains benchmarking and self-assessment tools to help you develop in your role.
We have developed modules to support primary care teams to improve the quality of care they provide to people with cancer. The modules will also enable practices and primary care networks to deliver the requirements of the Primary Care Network Specifications and QoF Quality Improvement Projects (in England).
Early diagnosis and cancer screening
The early diagnosis and screening modules will help you:
- identify patients at risk of cancer
- increase uptake of cancer screening
- improve referral practice.
We have also created a mini-series of short videos, featuring CRUK GPs and Macmillan GPs sharing their tips and advice for delivery of the PCN DES specification for early cancer diagnosis. Visit our page: Understanding the early cancer diagnosis PCN DES.
End of life care
Personalised cancer care
The personalised cancer care module will help you:
- identify and address a patient's needs and concerns
- provide a person-centred and holistic approach to care
- access and perform Cancer Care Reviews.
Download our personalised cancer care module.
With the removal of the QoF from the GP contract in Scotland, we have developed a specific QI toolkit and guidance for primary care teams in Scotland.
A Cancer Care Review (CCR) is a conversation between a patient and their GP or Practice Nurse about their cancer journey. A CCR can help patients to:
- talk about their cancer experience and concerns
- understand what support is available in their community
- receive the information they need to begin supported self-management.
We have developed resources and electronic templates to help you to support your patients.
We have developed a risk assessment tool to help primary care professionals recognise and manage the side effects of treatment in oncology and haematology patients.
It will help you to support patients who are:
- at risk of immunosuppresion
- receiving systemic anti-cancer therapies
- undergoing radiotherapy.
The tool uses a Red, Amber, Green (RAG) system to grade symptoms and advises action accordingly.
We've created our 10 top tips series to help primary care professionals support patients at every stage of the cancer pathway. The tips are designed to showcase best practice and offer practical advice for your role.
We have tips to support primary care professionals with:
- early diagnosis of cancer
- management of treatment side effects
- prehabilitation and rehabilitation
- palliative and end of life care
- social prescribing.
We have worked with Practice Nurses to develop the Macmillan Practice Nurse Course to improve knowledge, confidence and skills in supporting people living with cancer.
Haven't already joined the Learning and Communications Hub? Sign up today.
To find out about upcoming virtual workshops, please email ServiceOpsProfDev@macmillan.org.uk.
Stay up to date with the latest developments in cancer care, with expert news, opinion and analysis. You'll also find blogs about our professionals and the fantastic work they do.
Subscribe to our newsletters
We publish a range of newsletters for professionals who support people living with cancer. Whatever your role, we'll support you with clinical updates, tools and resources.
We invest in programmes and services to help professionals adopt new and innovative ways to deliver cancer care in the UK. Working in communities and with the NHS, we fund pilots to improve experiences and outcomes for people with cancer. With this knowledge, we have created tools and resources to help you deliver:
- Personalised care for people living with cancer
- Holistic Needs Assessments (and electronic HNAs)
- Quality improvement to existing cancer services.
For your patients
Our specialist advisers can give advice and support to your patients. Encourage them to call us on 0808 808 00 00 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm).
It’s quick and easy to order free booklets to give to your patients, their families and carers. Topics include cancer types, treatment, and emotional support.