Welfare rights advice
Living with cancer can affect your money, whether you are working, unemployed or retired. You may earn less if you stop working or reduce your hours. You may spend more on everyday costs, like heating or travelling to hospital.
If you are affected by cancer there are a range of benefits you may be entitled to which could help you with your everyday living costs.
Our specialist advisors can help you to find out what benefits you might be entitled to, such as:
- Universal Credit
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
We can also help you find out about other types of support available, such as:
In this video: Mo shares his experience of the financial impact of cancer. He talks about the challenges he faced and how Macmillan supported him to find benefits he was entitled to.
Macmillan Support Line
The welfare rights service is available to anyone who calls the Macmillan Support Line.
You can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.
- Emotional and practical information: 7 days a week, 8am-8pm
- Clinical information: 7 days a week, 8am-8pm
- Financial guidance: Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm
- Welfare rights: Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm, Saturday-Sunday, 9am-5pm
- Energy advice: Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm
- Work support team: Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm
Other ways to get in touch
Please note that conversations with our Support Line advisers are confidential, but may be recorded for quality and training purposes.
Outside the UK
If you're calling from outside of the UK you can contact us on +44 207 091 2230. We are unable to advise on healthcare systems overseas.
Deaf or hard of hearing
We also have information and tools online:
- Our benefits information including information on getting support with travel, childcare and paying bills.
- Our Online Community where you can chat anonymously with experts and people in a similar situation to yours. You can talk about anything cancer related, including benefits.
- Our benefits calculator which can help you find out which benefits you can claim.