Known locally as Granny Mave, Mavis has fundraised for Macmillan for over 10 years, both individually and as an integral part of The Stranraer Committee.
She’s a regular feature in the media, sharing her story and talking about the importance of local and national support for people with cancer. Just by being Mavis, she inspires others and raises the profile of Macmillan.
These are just some of the truly outstanding sporting challenges she’s done for us:
- In 2019, on her 81st birthday, she became the oldest women to cycle Land’s End to John O’Groats, raising over £75,000.
- In 2018, after turning 80, and despite having an operation for a new knee and hip, she trained for six months to take on a 24-hour cycle and raised £4,000.
- On her 70th birthday, she cycled across Canada, followed by the BBC cameras, raising £20,000 in the process.
- Mavis also inspired the Mull of Galloway Lighthouse abseil which raised £125,000 over four events. This led to three other events at Lighthouses across Scotland which raised a further £60,000 for Macmillan.
Following Land’s End to John O’Groats, Mavis quite deservedly won both JustGiving Endurance Fundraiser of the Year and Regional Pride of Britain Fundraiser of the Year and has been nominated for many more awards. She is an inspiration to us all, an unrivalled ambassador and an absolute legend.
'An inspiration to us all'
The Sir Hugh Dundas AwardSir Hugh Dundas was Macmillan’s Chairman in the 1980s. A fighter pilot in the Second World War, he was awarded a number of prestigious honours, including the Distinguished Flying Cross. He died from cancer in 1995.
The Sir Hugh Dundas Volunteer of the Year Award is for an individual who:
- goes above and beyond their volunteer role and all other volunteer awards criteria to make an outstanding contribution to Macmillan
- makes a significant commitment to Macmillan
- demonstrates a passion and dedication for volunteering with Macmillan and deserves recognition as the overall volunteer of the year.
'goes above and beyond'
Meet our 2020 UK winners
- The Fundraising/Committee Award
- The Service Team of the Year Award
- The Vicky Clement-Jones Award
- The Deborah Hutton Award
- The Richard Hambro Award
- The Young Macmillan Champion Award
- The Corporate Volunteer Award
- The Douglas Macmillan Award
For any further queries, please contact our Volunteering team at firstname.lastname@example.org.