Sonia has been a Macmillan volunteer for 17 years. She is a fundraising, practical and emotional support volunteer, Forum volunteer, community volunteer and secretary of her local committee.
Every year, she runs multiple marathons and fun runs for Macmillan, but this year, on her 50th birthday, she ran 50 miles in one day to raise money for Macmillan. Her non-stop feat took just under nine hours and raised over £3,000.
In the lead up to and during her birthday event, Sonia generated a significant amount of local press and media coverage to explain why she was raising money for Macmillan and why the charity means so much to her.
As a 1-2-1 support volunteer with Worcester Buddies, her speciality is end of life support, where she uses her skills and experience to help the family come to terms with what is happening. A lady she was supporting recently said, "Sonia is my ray of light" and "I look forward to ‘Sonia day’ each week."
Everything she does for Macmillan she does with such passion and pride. Without volunteers like Sonia, Macmillan wouldn’t be able to reach so many people.
Sonia says: “If you cut me open, I bleed Macmillan green."
She’s a true Team Macmillan hero.
"Sonia is my ray of light"
The Douglas Macmillan AwardDid you know that our founder Douglas Macmillan was also a volunteer? He wanted everyone with cancer to receive information and advice, housing at low or no cost, and care from voluntary nurses in their own homes. Douglas’ legacy lives on in the work we do today, together with our huge network of volunteers.
The Douglas Macmillan Award is for an individual or group that:
- acts as an ambassador and commits to making sure everyone knows about Macmillan
- uses their influence to make a significant impact in their local area – for example through fundraising or through changing the way a service or system is run
- engages with their community by informing others about Macmillan through promoting services, pushing for improvements in cancer care or winning corporate support
- raises the profile of Macmillan – for example, through networking, media coverage or social media.
'ENGAGES WITH THE COMMUNITY AND RAISES THE PROFILE OF MACMILLAN'
Meet our 2020 UK winners
- The Fundraising/Committee Award
- The Service Team of the Year Award
- The Vicky Clement-Jones Award
- The Deborah Hutton Award
- The Richard Hambro Award
- The Young Macmillan Champion Award
- The Corporate Volunteer Award
- The Sir Hugh Dundas Award.
For any further queries, please contact our Volunteering team at firstname.lastname@example.org.