If you have been diagnosed with testicular cancer, a team of health professionals will work together to plan the treatment they feel is best for you.
In most hospitals, a team of specialists will talk to you about the treatment they feel is best for you.
The MDT team for testicular cancer usually includes:
- a surgeon (urologist) - a doctor who specialises in treating problems of the male reproductive and urinary system
- a cancer doctor (oncologist) - a doctor who specialises in treating cancer with chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- a specialist nurse - a nurse who gives you information and support
- a radiologist – a doctor who help to analyse x-rays and scans
- a pathologist - a doctor who specialises in looking at cells under a microscope and diagnosing the cell type
The team may also include other healthcare professionals such as dietitians, physiotherapists, psychologists or counsellors.
After the meeting your specialist doctor and nurse will talk to you about your treatment options. They will explain different treatments and their advantages and disadvantages.