A team of health professionals will work with you to plan the treatment that is best for your mesothelioma diagnosis.
If your tests show that you have mesothelioma, a team of specialists called a multidisciplinary team (MDT) will meet to plan your treatment and care. In some parts of the UK, there are specialist mesothelioma MDTs. This team will normally include:
- chest physicians, who are doctors experienced in lung disease (if you have pleural mesothelioma)
- oncologists, who are doctors experienced in using chemotherapy and radiotherapy to treat mesothelioma
- surgeons, who are experienced in chest surgery (if you have pleural mesothelioma) or abdominal surgery (if you have peritoneal mesothelioma)
- specialist nurses, who give information and support
- palliative care nurse specialists, who are experts in controlling symptoms
- radiologists, who help analyse scans and x-rays
- pathologists, who advise on the type and extent of the cancer.
The team may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a:
- social worker