What is Adult Disability Payment?

Adult Disability Payment (ADP) is a new benefit that replaces Personal Independent Payment and Disability Living Allowance in Scotland.

ADP is a benefit for people over 16 years old and under State Pension age. It is for anyone living in Scotland with a disability or long-term health condition that affects your daily life. Cancer is recognised as a disability by UK law.

Adult Disability Payment has 2 parts:

  • the daily living component
  • the mobility component.

You may be able to claim one part or both.

Whether you are able to claim Adult Disability Payment depends on where you live.

  • Scotland

    Adult Disability Payment is available as a benefit in Scotland. The information on this page is about how to make a new claim in Scotland. If you already get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance for adults, you do not need to make a new claim for Adult Disability Payment.

  • England, Wales and Northern Ireland

    If you live in England, Wales and Northern Ireland you cannot claim Adult Disability Payment. You may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which has replaced Disability Living Allowance for adults (DLA).

Am I eligible for Adult Disability Payment?

You may be able to claim Adult Disability Payment if your cancer diagnosis affects your everyday life. For example, doing household jobs and caring for yourself, or getting around. 

You must be aged between 16 years old and the State Pension age to be able to claim Adult Disability Payment. Your State Pension age is the youngest age you can start getting your State Pension payments. If you are above State Pension age, you can claim Attendance Allowance (AA) instead.

You must live in Scotland to claim Adult Disability Payment.

You can find out more who can apply for Adult Disability Payment on the mygov.scot website.

How do I claim Adult Disability Payment?

Our step by step guide How to claim Adult Disability Payment explains the process of claiming Adult Disability Payment.

Can I dispute or appeal an Adult Disability Payment decision?

If your application for Adult Disability Payment was unsuccessful, or you think that you have not been awarded the right amount, you can request that Social Security Scotland look again at your application.

To ask for a new decision, you can either contact Social Security Scotland or fill out a paper re-determinations form and post this to Social Security Scotland.

You must request a new decision within 42 days (6 weeks) from when you received your letter about Social Security Scotland’s decision about your application. If you request a new decision after 42 days have passed, you must give a reason.

When Social Security Scotland receive your request, they have 56 days (8 weeks) to give you a new decision.

  • To contact Social Security Scotland

    Tel: 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)

    Text Relay: 18001 +0300 244 4000

    BSL: Use the contactSCOTLAND app

  • Filling out a re-determinations form

    You will receive a paper re-determinations form in the letter about the original decision. Or you can print one yourself. Send your completed re-determinations form to:

    Social Security Scotland

    PO Box 10303


    DD1 9FY

There is more information about what you can do if you disagree with the decision on mygov.scot.

What do I do if my circumstances change?

You will need to report a change of circumstance to Social Security Scotland.

A change of circumstance could be:

  • changes to your medical condition or disability
  • going into hospital
  • changing your doctor
  • changes to your payment details.

There is information about how to contact Social Security Scotland on the mygov.scot website.

What other financial support is available?

You may be able to get other financial support depending on your situation to help with the extra costs of living with cancer.

  • Other benefits you might be entitled to
    • Universal Credit (UC), a benefit for people under State Pension age who are out of work or on a low income.
    •  Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), a benefit for people under State Pension age who have an illness or disability that affects how much they can work.
    •  Carers Allowance, the main benefit for carers. You may be able to get financial help if you are caring for someone with cancer.

    You can use our benefits calculator to check if you are eligible for any other benefits. You will need to be a British or Irish citizen to use the calculator.

  • Other support
    • Macmillan Grants. This is a one-off payment to help with additional costs such as energy bills, home adaptations and travel to your appointments. They are means-tested and are for people who have a low level of income and saving. A Macmillan Grant would not usually affect your benefits entitlement.

    • Cost of Living Payment. You may be eligible for the government's cost of living payment if you are receiving Adult Disability Payments or certain other benefits. If you are eligible these will automatically be added to your benefits payment.


Booklets and resources

What other financial advice is available?

Our expert advisors on the Macmillan Support Line can help you deal with money worries. This includes financial guides for your personal finance options, such as insurance, pensions, mortgages and tax. We also have energy advisors, who can help you try to reduce your heating and electricity costs.

If you are worried about debt, we can refer you to our charity partner StepChange Debt Charity for advice.

Booklets and resources

Adult Disability Payment FAQs

You might have some more questions about claiming Adult Disability Payment. We've answered some of the most often asked questions below. 

If you have a question that is not answered below, you can call our Macmillan Welfare Rights Advisers.

  • How much Adult Disability Payment could I get?

    The amount of Adult Disability Payment you can get depends on how much your condition affects your daily life and mobility. You may qualify for either the daily living component or the mobility component, or both. For both components, you will either receive the standard rate or the enhanced rate. If you are terminally ill you will automatically receive the enhanced rate of the daily living component.

    mygov.scot has the latest information on how much Adult Disability Payment you could get.

  • Can I get help applying for benefits?

    Our Welfare Rights team are here to help you with your Adult Disability Payment claim. They are trained to help you get the benefits you are entitled to and understand the benefits system for people living with cancer.

    If you need help in another language, you can use our translation service to speak to our advisors. We also have information about claiming benefits translated into different languages.

  • Can I apply for Adult Disability Payment on behalf of someone else?

    Yes, you can apply for Adult Disability Payment on behalf of someone else. For example, if you are a carer, family member, or appointee.

  • How long will I receive Adult Disability Payment?

    You can get Adult Disability Payment for as long as you meet the conditions for it.

    Your decision letter will have a review date on it. This is when Social Security Scotland will check to see if you’re still entitled to Adult Disability Payment.

    There is more information about Adult Disability Payment review decisions on mygov.scot.

  • How do I stop receiving Adult Disability Payment?

    If you want to stop your Adult Disability Payment, you need to contact Social Security Scotland. They will ask you to complete a form to confirm that you want your Adult Disability Payment to stop.

About our information

Adult Disability Payment can vary depending on your individual circumstances. The information provided gives an overview of this benefit and should be used as a guideline. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your personal circumstances further, and how they may impact a claim, then you can chat to a Macmillan Welfare Rights Adviser.

  • References

    Below is a sample of the sources used in our financial help and benefits information.

    GOV.UK www.gov.uk (accessed August 2022).

    mygov.scot www.mygov.scot (accessed August 2022)

  • Reviewers

    This information has been reviewed and approved by Macmillan’s Welfare Rights team.

Date reviewed

Reviewed: 01 May 2022
Next review: 01 May 2025
Trusted Information Creator - Patient Information Forum
Trusted Information Creator - Patient Information Forum

Our cancer information meets the PIF TICK quality mark.

This means it is easy to use, up-to-date and based on the latest evidence. Learn more about how we produce our information.