If your job caused you to get a disease like cancer or have an accident, you can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Can I claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were employed in a job, or on an employment training scheme, which either:

  • caused you to have a disease
  • caused you to have an accident.

Cancers that can be caused by working in certain jobs include lung cancer and diffuse mesothelioma (a type of cancer caused by asbestos).

You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed.

There are also two lump-sum payment schemes for people who have certain dust-related injuries, such as mesothelioma. These are:

  • diffuse mesothelioma payments (the 2008 scheme)
  • the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).

If you have mesothelioma which was not caused through employment, you may still be able to get a payment. This may have happened, for example, because you washed the clothing of someone who worked with asbestos, or you were self-employed.

How to claim

We have more information about mesothelioma. You can also call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00, or visit the Mesothelioma UK website for details of local support groups. For more information about mesothelioma payments visit gov.uk/diffuse-mesothelioma-payment

How we can help

Macmillan Grants

If you have cancer, you may be able to get a Macmillan Grant to help with the extra costs of cancer. Find out who can apply and how to access our grants.

0808 808 00 00
7 days a week, 9am - 5pm
Email us
Get in touch via this form
Chat online
7 days a week, 9am - 5pm
Online Community
An anonymous network of people affected by cancer which is free to join. Share experiences, ask questions and talk to people who understand.
Help in your area
What's going on near you? Find out about support groups, where to get information and how to get involved with Macmillan where you live.