If your job caused you to get a disease like cancer or have an accident, you can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were employed in a job, or on an employment training scheme, which either:
- caused you to have a disease
- caused you to have an accident.
You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed.
- If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, visit gov.uk/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit for more information.
- If you live in Northern Ireland, visit nidirect.gov.uk/articles/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit for more information.
There are also two lump-sum payment schemes for people who have certain dust-related injuries, such as mesothelioma. These are:
- diffuse mesothelioma payments (the 2008 scheme)
- the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).
If you have mesothelioma which was not caused through employment, you may still be able to get a payment. This may have happened, for example, because you washed the clothing of someone who worked with asbestos, or you were self-employed.
- If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, you can download an application form from gov.uk/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit/how-to-claim You can also call the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre on 0800 121 8379 or use textphone 0800 169 0314 and ask them to send you a form.
- If you live in Northern Ireland, you can download an application form from nidirect.gov.uk/articles/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit You can also ask your local Social Security or Jobs and Benefits office for a form.
We have more information about mesothelioma. You can also call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00, or visit the Mesothelioma UK website for details of local support groups. For more information about mesothelioma payments visit gov.uk/diffuse-mesothelioma-payment