Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for cervical cancer
If you have cervical cancer, your treatment will be planned by a specialist gynaecological cancer team. These teams are based in larger cancer centres, so you may have to travel for your treatment.
This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:
- a gynaecological oncologist – a surgeon who specialises in gynaecological cancers
- oncologists – doctors who specialise in cancer treatments such as radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy drugs
- a gynae-oncology nurse specialist
- a radiologist – a doctor who analyses x-rays and scans
- a pathologist – a doctor who examines cancer cells under a microscope and advises on the type and grade of the cancer.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, radiographer, psychologist or counsellor.
After the team has met, your specialist will discuss your treatment options with you. You can ask questions about anything you do not understand or are worried about. You should also be given a telephone number for your specialist nurse or key worker. You can contact them if you have any questions when you get home.
You can also talk to our cancer support specialists on 0808 808 00 00.