Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for stomach cancer
A team of health professionals will work with you to plan the treatment that is best for your situation.
The MDT for stomach cancer may include:
- a surgeon, who specialises in stomach and gastrointestinal cancers
- a gastroenterologist, who is a doctor specialising in diagnosing and treating problems with the digestive system
- a specialist nurse, who can give you information and support
- a dietitian, who can give you advice if you have problems with eating, drinking or weight loss.
The MDT often includes a number of other healthcare professionals, such as:
- a palliative care doctor or nurse, who specialises in symptom control
- a physiotherapist, who helps the person if they have problems moving around
- an occupational therapist, who makes sure you are safe and comfortable at home – they can suggest and arrange minor changes to your home
- a psychologist or counsellor, who can talk with you and help you sort out your feelings and find ways of coping with them.
After the MDT meeting, your cancer doctor or specialist nurse will talk to you about your treatment options. You can decide together on the best treatment plan for you.