Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for bowel cancer
In most hospitals, a team of specialists called a multidisciplinary team (MDT) will plan your treatment.
This MDT includes:
- a surgeon, who specialises in bowel cancers
- an oncologist (cancer doctor) who specialises in radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapies
- a nurse specialist, who gives information and support
- a radiologist, who helps to interpret x-rays and scans
- a pathologist, who gives information about the type and size of the cancer
- a stoma care nurse, who gives information and support about stoma care.
Other healthcare professionals may inlude:
- a gastroenterologist, who specialises in bowel problems
- a dietitian
- a physiotherapist
- an occupational therapist
- a psychologist or counsellor.
If the cancer has spread to your liver or lungs, you may also be referred to an MDT that specialises in surgery for secondary cancer. In this situation, the two teams will work together to plan your treatment.