Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for primary bone cancer

A team of health professionals will work with you to plan your treatment for primary bone cancer.

Primary bone cancer (also called bone sarcoma) is rare, so you should always be referred for treatment at a specialist sarcoma unit. Your test results will be discussed by a team of specialist health care professionals. If your tests show a diagnosis of bone cancer, a team of specialists meets to talk about the best treatment for you. They are called a multidisciplinary team (MDT).

A sarcoma MDT includes the following professionals:

  • Orthopaedic surgeon – a doctor who specialises in bone surgery.
  • Oncologist – a doctor who uses radiotherapy, chemotherapy and other anti-cancer drugs to treat people with cancer.
  • Clinical nurse specialist (CNS) – a nurse who gives information about cancer, and support during and after treatment.
  • Radiologist – a doctor who looks at scans and x-rays to diagnose problems.
  • Pathologist – a doctor who looks at cells or body tissue under a microscope to diagnose cancer.

The MDT may also include healthcare professionals, such as the following:

  • Dietitian – someone who gives information and advice about diet and how to keep to a healthy weight.
  • Key worker – someone who is the main point of contact for people living with cancer. They can help answer any questions. This person could be a specialist nurse or a social worker.
  • Physiotherapist – someone who gives advice about exercise and mobility.
  • Plastic surgeon – a doctor who does operations (surgery) to repair or reconstruct tissue and skin.
  • Occupational therapist – someone who gives information, support and aids to help people with everyday tasks such as washing and dressing.
  • Psychologist – someone who gives advice about managing feelings and behaviours.
  • Counsellor – someone who is trained to listen to people’s problems and help them find ways to cope.
  • Social worker – someone who can help sort out practical and financial problems.
Trusted Information Creator - Patient Information Forum
Trusted Information Creator - Patient Information Forum

Our cancer information meets the PIF TICK quality mark.

This means it is easy to use, up-to-date and based on the latest evidence. Learn more about how we produce our information.