How treatment is planned

A team of specialists will meet to discuss the best possible treatment for you. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:

  • a surgeon (urologist) who specialises in operating on the prostate.
  • an oncologist (cancer specialist) who specialises in radiotherapy, hormonal therapy and chemotherapy treatments
  • a specialist nurse who gives information and support
  • a radiologist who analyses x-rays and scans
  • a pathologist who advises on the type and extent of the cancer.

It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as social workers and physiotherapists.

The team will look at different factors to help you decide which treatments are likely to be best for you. These include:

After the MDT has met, your specialist will talk to you about the best treatment for your situation and any likely side effects. They may offer you a choice of treatments, which they will explain to you. They will ask you your views about the treatment(s) before a treatment decision is made.

Second opinion

Your multidisciplinary team (MDT) uses national treatment guidelines to decide the most suitable treatment for you. Even so, you may want another medical opinion. If you feel it will be helpful, you can ask either your specialist or GP to refer you to another specialist for a second opinion. Getting a second opinion may delay the start of your treatment, so you and your doctor need to be confident that it will give you useful information. If you do go for a second opinion, it may be a good idea to take a relative or friend with you. You may also find it helpful to have a list of questions ready so that you can make sure your concerns are covered during the discussion.

There were four possible courses of treatment – three types of surgery and radiotherapy coupled with hormonal therapy. It was extremely difficult to decide which to choose.


Back to Who will be involved in your treatment

Getting a second opinion

There are many reasons for wanting a second opinion about your treatment. Speak to your specialist or GP.

Making a complaint

Talking to your healthcare team can make it easier to cope. If you find talking difficult, there are things you can do.