Travelling to hospital

Claiming a refund

If you have to travel to and from hospital for treatment, you may be able to claim a refund on:

  • your bus or train fares
  • some petrol costs
  • taxi fares (in some situations).

If you need someone to travel with you to hospital for medical reasons, you may be able to get a refund on their travel costs, too.

Who can claim?

You can claim a refund if you get one of the following benefits:

You can also claim if:

  • you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • you have a low income – this means you can get help with travel costs as part of the NHS Low Income Scheme.

You can usually get your refund at the hospital from the cashier’s office. Check what you have to do before you travel. You will need to bring proof of:

  • one of the qualifying benefits – for example, your benefit award, letter tax credit exemption card or certificate awarded under the NHS Low Income Scheme
  • your travel costs – for example tickets or receipts
  • proof of your appointment.

Some voluntary organisations have drivers who can take people to hospital and other places (for example to the shops). Check at your local library or search online for details of voluntary organisations in your area.

Hospital parking

Hospital car parking policies are different across the UK.

  • In England, many hospitals give people with cancer free car parking or discounts. But this is not always well-advertised. You should ask your hospital for more information.
  • In Scotland, hospital parking is free at all hospitals except Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.
  • In Wales, hospital parking is free for everyone.
  • In Northern Ireland, hospital parking is free at all hospitals if you are having chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

Back to Help with transport and parking

The Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme can help with parking costs if you have severe mobility problems.

Car and driving costs

You may qualify for schemes that help you buy or rent a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.