The Blue Badge Scheme

If you have problems with mobility, you may be able to get a Blue Badge. A Blue Badge allows you to park in parking spaces closer to where you need to go. It may let you park for free in some private car parks, such as in hospitals or supermarkets. Certain parking restrictions will still apply. You will need to receive the higher mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the enhanced component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you live in Northern Ireland, you can apply for a Blue Badge if you get 8 points under the moving around descriptor on your PIP assessment.

How to apply for a badge

Your healthcare professional or a welfare rights adviser may be able to help you fill out the application forms.

There are special badge schemes for people with restricted mobility who live, study or work in areas where the Blue Badge Scheme does not apply. In London, there is a green badge for Camden, red for the City of London, purple for Kensington and Chelsea, and white for Westminster. Visit Disabled Motoring UK’s website for more information.

I’ve got a blue badge for parking and a freedom pass for travel. And thanks to Macmillan, I don’t wake up in the morning worrying whether I can cope with work that day.


Tunnels, bridges and toll roads

Blue Badge holders and other disabled people pay a reduced rate, or no fee, at some river crossings, bridges and tunnels. In most cases, you have to apply in advance to get a discount. Toll discounts can change, so check before you travel. Contact your local council for advice. If you live in Northern Ireland, call the Blue Badge Unit on 0300 200 7818.

London Congestion Charge and T-Charge

There is a charge to drive within central London at certain times. If you have a Blue Badge, you do not have to pay the charge. However, you will have to make a one-off payment of £10 to register for this discount.

If you need to pay the Congestion Charge to get to a medical appointment, you may be able to claim this money back from the hospital. A health professional, such as your cancer doctor or nurse, would need to confirm you are too ill to travel on public transport. Remember to keep your receipt for the Congestion Charge so you can claim your refund.

For drivers of older vehicles in central London there is also a T-charge of £10 per day. This is payable on top of the congestion charge. Its aim is to reduce air pollution. If your vehicle is registered for any discount for the Congestion Charge, you automatically get the same discount for the T-charge. For more information, visit or call 0343 222 2222. You can also use textphone 0207 649 9123.

Back to Help with transport and parking

Travelling to hospital

You may be able to get help with your travel costs to and from hospital for treatment.

Car and driving costs

You may qualify for schemes that help you buy or rent a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.