One of the ways we cope with difficult life events is by talking about them and about our feelings. Talking about your thoughts and feelings can help you:
- relieve tension by stopping worries and fears from building up
- feel reassured that your feelings are normal
- understand how you’re feeling and why
- put things into perspective
- find the answer to a problem
- build bonds with your family and friends.
It’s a good idea to have someone you can talk to other than the person with cancer. This will take pressure off both of you.
The person you talk to might be a partner, close friend, family member or spiritual advisor. Sometimes people find it easier to talk with someone they don’t know.