A team of specialists meet to discuss the best treatment options for your situation. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) includes:
- a surgeon, who specialises in breast surgery and may do breast reconstruction surgery
- a plastic surgeon, who specialises in breast reconstruction
- a cancer doctor (oncologist), who specialises in chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormonal therapy and targeted therapy
- a specialist nurse, who gives information and support
- a radiologist, who specialises in x-rays and scans
- a pathologist, who specialises in studying tissue samples and cells.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a research nurse, physiotherapist, psychologist, social worker or counsellor.
After the MDT meeting, your cancer doctor or specialist nurse will talk to you about the treatment options. You can decide together on the best treatment plan for you.