MDT for myeloma
A multidisciplinary team (MDT) who specialise in treating myeloma will work together to plan your treatment.
This multidisciplinary team (MDT) for myeloma may include:
- a haematologist – a doctor who specialises in treating blood disorders
- a cancer doctor (oncologist) – a doctor who specialises in radiotherapy treatment
- a specialist nurse – a nurse who gives information and support
- a pathologist – a doctor who advises on the type and extent of the myeloma
- radiologists – doctors who help to analyse x-rays and scans
- a palliative care doctor or nurse – a specialist in managing symptoms such as pain.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as orthopaedic surgeons and kidney doctors.
After the meeting your specialist doctor and nurse will talk to you about your treatment options. They will explain different treatments and their advantages and disadvantages. They will also ask you about your preferences.