Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for melanoma
A team of health professionals will work with you to plan your treatment for melanoma. This is called the multi-disciplinary team (MDT).
The MDT may include:
- a dermatologist, who specialises in skin problems
- a skin cancer nurse specialist
- a plastic surgeon, who specialises in removal of skin cancer and skin reconstruction
- an oncologist, who specialises in treating cancer.
The MDT may also include other healthcare professionals. The MDT meet to talk about your treatment plan. They consider things, such as:
- your general health
- the stage of the melanoma
- where it is on your body.
After the MDT meeting, your doctor and specialist nurse will talk to you about the best treatment plan for your situation. They will explain the benefits and disadvantages of different treatments.