Multidisciplinary team (MDT) for liver cancer
In most hospitals, a team of specialists will meet to discuss the best treatment for you. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) for liver cancer will include:
- a hepatologist – a liver disease specialist
- a surgeon who specialises in liver cancers
- a medical oncologist – a doctor who specialises in giving chemotherapy
- a clinical oncologist – a radiotherapy and chemotherapy specialist
- an interventional radiologist – a doctor who uses imaging to help them give treatments such as ablation, chemoembolisation (TACE) or radioembolisation (SIRT)
- a nurse specialist
- radiologists – who help to analyse x-rays and scans
- pathologists – who advise on the type and spread of the cancer.
It may also include:
- a palliative care doctor or nurse who specialises in symptom control
- a dietitian
- a physiotherapist
- an occupational therapist (OT)
- a psychologist or a counsellor.