A team of specialists will meet to discuss the best treatment for you. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) for kidney cancer will include:
- a urologist – a surgeon who specialises in treating problems of the urinary system
- an oncologist – a specialist in cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy, targeted therapy drugs and radiotherapy
- a urology nurse specialist – someone who gives information and support
- a radiologist – a specialist who helps to analyse scans and x-rays
- a pathologist – a specialist who advises on the type and extent of the cancer.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a dietitian, a physiotherapist, an occupational therapist (OT), a psychologist or a palliative care specialist.