Our Macmillan Well-Being Coaches are here to help you if you have been affected by cancer. They offer free, remote coaching to people who want to work towards making a positive change in their life.
Macmillan Well-Being Coaching is a free and remote service to improve your mental health and well-being. We have Macmillan well-being coaches across the UK who can work with you over the phone.
Well-being coaching is a partnership between you and a coach. The coach helps you to learn about yourself so you can take actions to live life as fully as you can.
The coach will:
- Listen to your concerns and how you’re feeling, without judgement.
- Question and reflect these concerns back to you. They may use other approaches so you can define your challenges together.
- Support you to make your own decisions. They will help you take steps towards overcoming these challenges.
Our coaches have helped people affected by cancer in many ways. They could support you in the following ways, or with other challenges not listed here.
- Better understand what’s on your mind and come to terms with your life with or after cancer.
- Build confidence to talk with a loved one about what you’re going through and how they can support you.
- Develop coping strategies for challenging situations you find yourself in.
- Learn how to pause and reflect on a challenging situation before reacting.
- Build courage to be around other people and to communicate with them.
- Find new opportunities for work, study or leisure that interest you.
- Learn to feel okay with making mistakes and become more able to move forward with your life.
Not all of the well-being coaches have had cancer themselves or have been carers. But cancer has impacted their lives in such a way that they want to support people affected by cancer.
The Macmillan well-being coaches have:
- coaching qualifications from trustworthy institutions
- experience working with a wide range of people in vulnerable situations
- gone through a screening process to make sure they can deliver quality coaching
- are volunteers who have received specialist training from Macmillan about the impact of cancer.
Macmillan well-being coaches are not experts in cancer and treatment. For specialist cancer information, you should speak to a cancer information nurse specialist on the Macmillan Support Line.
- Complete an online form to refer yourself to the well-being coaching service.
- Receive a call back from a coach so you can get to know them and make sure the service is suitable.
- Receive six coaching sessions over the phone from your coach.
Sessions usually last up to an hour and happen every two weeks, but this is flexible around you and your coach’s needs and availability.
We put you directly in contact with one of our coaches, but if you’d rather speak with a member of our team first, then please do email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do our best to connect you with a coach as soon as possible. However, if we’re unable to connect you we’ll be in contact with further information.
"I’ve learnt to deal with how I’m feeling with treatment. I had trouble saying the word ‘cancer’.
It’s helped me in my confidence, I can talk about having cancer and how it’s affected me more
"Coaching has brought new things to me, it’s made me think about other careers and things.
I said I feel stupid saying it’s nutrition, but that’s it. [The well-being coach] got me all this
information and stuff about it. I now think ‘yeah go for it man’ so I’m doing a course in nutrition."
"I was having a lot of emotional stuff with people. I don’t think I’m a people person and I do lose
the plot with them. Coaching has made me feel a lot more positive about myself. I can now look
at people and think that I am just as good as you."
We’re here for anyone who has been affected by cancer. This includes carers, people who are bereaved and anyone who meets the requirements below:
- You are over 18 years old.
- You have something you want to achieve or work on.
- You feel coaching could support you to make a positive change to your life.
- You want to work towards changing negative thoughts, beliefs and actions.
- You want to commit time and energy to work with a coach.
- You commit to being punctual to sessions and will let us know if you need to cancel one.
- You are available to take part in six coaching sessions over the course of up to 12 weeks.
If you meet the requirements above, then you may refer yourself to this service.