Income Support

This is a benefit for people on a low income or no income. It helps cover basic living costs.

Income Support is for people aged between 16 and State Pension age. It is for people who do not have to register as unemployed if they are out of work.

If you are making a new claim, you may need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Income Support. This depends on where you live.

Who can claim?

You can claim Income Support if you:

  • are a carer
  • are a single parent with a child under 5 years old
  • are pregnant
  • are off work and getting Statutory Sick Pay (in some cases).

All of the following must also apply to you:

  • You, and your partner if you have one, have £16,000 or less in savings between you.
  • You, and your partner if you have one, have no income or a low income. If you have an illness or disability and earn money from some types of permitted work, this will not affect your claim.
  • If you are single, you must work less than 16 hours a week.
  • If you have a partner, they must work less than 24 hours a week.

You, and your partner if you have one, must be under the pension age for a woman.

You can also claim if you are aged between 16 and 20 and are in full-time education or training. You must also be at least one of the following:

  • a parent
  • not living with a parent (or someone acting as a parent)
  • a refugee learning English.

How much you could get

Income Support is paid at different rates depending on your situation.

You may get basic payments (called personal allowances). There are different basic payments. The one you get will depend on your situation, for example:

  • your age
  • whether you are single or have a partner
  • whether you are a single parent.

You may get extra payments (called premiums) for special circumstances. For example, this may be if you are disabled, if you are a carer, or if your partner is of pension age.

If you are eligible for Income Support, you may also get other benefits, such as:

The amount of Income Support you get will not be reduced if you, or your partner if you have one, also claim Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance. It may even increase.

How to claim

Back to If you are unable to work or on a low income

Support from your work

You may be able to get financial help from the government if you are unable to work because of cancer.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit for people under retirement age who cannot work because of illness or disability.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment for people who are on a low income or out of for work.

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit (WTC) is for people aged from 16 to retirement age who work but have a low income or disability.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance can give you a weekly income if you are unemployed and looking for work.