Car and driving costs

Seat belts

If you cannot wear a seat belt for medical reasons, you can get a medical exemption certificate from your doctor. There are also aids and adaptations that make it easier for people with disabilities to wear a seat belt. For more information, speak to your doctor or contact the Disabled Living Foundation.

Road (vehicle) tax exemption

You may be able to get free road tax if you are disabled. You may qualify if you get any of the following:

If you get the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment at the standard rate, you may qualify for a 50% discount on your road tax.

For more information, call 0300 123 432, or visit You can also get renewal forms from your local Post Office.

Motability Scheme

Under this scheme, you can get help to buy or hire a car, scooter or powered wheelchair instead of receiving the cash benefit of:

Contact the Motability Scheme to apply.

Back to Help with transport and parking

Travelling to hospital

You may be able to get help with your travel costs to and from hospital for treatment.

The Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme can help with parking costs if you have severe mobility problems.