Other grants and loans

As well as Macmillan Grants, there may be other grants and loans available from local and national organisations you could get if you need financial help.

Government and local councils

Different areas have local welfare schemes that provide grants and loans. Contact your local council to find out what help you can get in your area. Visit gov.uk if you live in England, cosla.gov.uk if you live in Scotland, or wlga.wales if you live in Wales. Or speak to a Macmillan welfare rights adviser on 0808 808 00 00 for more information.

Grants and loans for heating costs

There are different types of support available if you are struggling with heating bills. Your energy supplier may be able to give you a grant, a discount or a better payment arrangement. There are also energy-saving schemes and government grants to reduce your costs.

We have more information about managing your energy costs.

Charities and other organisations

Other sources of help include occupational funds, help from utility companies (gas, electricity and water companies) and help from charities. For more information, call us on 0808 808 00 00.

CLIC Sargent provides one-off grants to children and young people with cancer and their families. These can help with the extra costs that cancer can cause. Applications need to be made through a CLIC Sargent social worker. For more information, call 0300 330 0803.

Turn2us helps people find specific charities that may be able to offer financial help.

Your local library may have books about organisations that provide grants. This might include A guide to grants for individuals in need, published by the Directory of Social Change.

Back to About benefits

Macmillan Grants

Every week, over 700 people receive a grant from Macmillan Cancer Support.