Tips for protecting yourself in the sun
There are things you can do to help make sure that your skin does not burn.
Following the advice below will help make sure that your skin does not burn:
- Protect your face and neck with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Wear sunglasses with a guaranteed ultraviolet (UV) light filter.
- Use a sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (at least SPF 30). Follow the instructions on the bottle and reapply as recommended, particularly after swimming.
- If you have to apply bite or mosquito repellent cream, apply the sunscreen first, followed by the repellent cream.
- Wear clothing made of cotton or natural fibres. These have a closer weave and offer more protection from the sun.
- Stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, usually between 11am and 3pm. Try to sit in the shade, even at other times of the day.
- If you have had radiotherapy, keep the treated area completely covered.