There are things you can do to help make sure that your skin does not burn.
Following the advice below will help make sure that your skin does not burn:
- Protect your face and neck with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Wear sunglasses with a guaranteed ultraviolet (UV) light filter.
- Use a sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (at least SPF 30). Follow the instructions on the bottle and reapply as recommended, particularly after swimming.
- If you have to apply bite or mosquito repellent cream, apply the sunscreen first, followed by the repellent cream.
- Wear clothing made of cotton or natural fibres. These have a closer weave and offer more protection from the sun.
- Stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, usually between 11am and 3pm. Try to sit in the shade, even at other times of the day.
- If you have had radiotherapy, keep the treated area completely covered.