The Ice Bucket
Get involved in the perfect summer fundraising challenge that's sweeping across social media. #IceBucketChallenge a friend and raise money to help people affected by cancer.
How does it work?
It's simple. Just challenge someone via Facebook or Twitter to have a bucket of ice-cold water poured over their head in exchange for a text donation to Macmillan. Film it, share it, and then sit back and watch the nomination process take over. Take a peek at some of our favourites to get an idea.
Sounds brilliant. What do I need?
- A bucket
- A smartphone
- A towel
- A change of clothes (highly recommended)
- Immense bravery
Right. Got all that. What do I do now?
- 1. Fill the bucket with iced water
- 2. Pour it on your head
- 3. Film this on your smartphone
- 4. Post the video to Facebook / Twitter
- 5. Text to Donate £3 to Macmillan by sending ICE to 70550
- 6. Nominate your friends / enemies to do it next
Make sure you include this all important line when posting on social media:
I nominate XXX to take part in the #IceBucketChallenge in the next 48 hours and text ICE to 70550 to give £3 to Macmillan. (*Wimp out and text FINE to 70550 to give £10 instead).
As with all challenges, there can be risks so it’s important you look after yourself and make sure you don’t put yourself in any danger by undertaking this challenge.
If you are concerned about your health please seek medical advice and do not undertake the challenge.
For those taking part don't forget to wrap up warm afterwards and take care.
Macmillan Cancer Support will not be liable for any injury or loss that might occur as a result of participation.
Terms and conditions
- Texts cost £3 for ICE and £10 for FINE plus your standard network charge
- We receive 95p of every £1 donated in this way
- Obtain bill payer’s permission first
As part of this campaign you may receive a call back from Macmillan in the future to update you about our work.