For most people, a daily balanced diet includes:
- lots of fruit and vegetables
- plenty of starchy foods (carbohydrates), such as bread, rice, pasta, noodles, couscous and potatoes
- some protein-rich foods, such as meat, poultry, fish, nuts, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils)
- some milk and dairy foods, such as cheese, yoghurt and cream
- just a small amount of food high in fat, salt and sugar
Drinks should mainly be water, tea and coffee (without sugar), or sugar-free drinks such as fizzy drinks, colas and squashes.
We have more information about alcoholic drinks.
The diagram below shows how much of each type of food you should try to eat.