Tips for avoiding stomach problems when you are away
It is important to be careful with what you eat and drink when you are away. We have some tips for avoiding stomach problems when you are away.
It is important to be careful with what you eat and drink. Here are some tips for avoiding stomach problems when you are away:
- If you are not sure that the drinking water is clean, you should sterilise it. You can do this by boiling it for one minute, or by using a filtering system or sterilisation tablets. At high altitudes, you may need to boil water for longer than usual to sterilise it properly.
- Use bottled water if you are not sure that the water is clean. Make sure that seals on bottles of water are not broken before opening.
- Avoid ice, unless you are sure it is made from safe water.
- Only eat freshly cooked food that has been cooked thoroughly and is still hot.
- Avoid uncooked food, unless you can peel it or remove the shell yourself.
- Avoid food that may have been exposed to flies, such as hotel buffets that may have been left out for some time, or food from street traders.
- Avoid ice cream from unreliable sources, such as kiosks.
- Avoid or boil unpasteurised milk.
- Be careful when eating shellfish, as it may contain harmful bacteria. Make sure shellfish is cooked thoroughly, or avoid eating it.