- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Gently fry the mixture for 3–5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften but not colour.
- Add the parsnips and mix well with the other ingredients to bring out all the flavours.
- Pour the coconut milk and stock into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and bring the soup to the boil. Stir well.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Check the parsnips are soft by piercing through to the centre with a sharp knife. Remove the soup from the heat and blend to a smooth puree with a blender or food processor.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Tip: To lower the fat content, use reduced-fat coconut milk.