Support with mortgage interest

You  might be able to get extra help with your mortgage interest payments if you claim:

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit.

These benefits may also cover other housing costs, such as service charges and ground rent. If you have these costs, you should apply for help through your benefit.

Since April 2016, there is a waiting period of 39 weeks (around nine months) between first claiming the benefits above and being able to access the extra help with housing costs.

We have more information and tips about keeping up with your mortgage payments.

Back to Help with bills and housing costs

Housing Benefit

You may be able to get help with your rent payments if you have a low income.

Council Tax Reduction

Council tax reduction schemes can help people in England, Scotland and Wales to pay their council tax. In Northern Ireland, there are options to help you pay your rates bill.