Council tax support

Council Tax Support is for people who need help to pay their council tax. It replaced Council Tax Benefit, council tax discounts, exemptions and reductions.

The system is run by local authorities and each authority sets the rules for its area. This includes rules about which groups of people it will help. The government still sets some of the rules, including help for people claiming State Pension.

How to claim

Contact your local authority.

In Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, you pay rates instead of council tax. Visit for information about help paying rates.

Back to Help with bills and housing costs

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit may help you pay for rented accommodation if you are on a low income.

Adapting your home and nursing care

You can get help to adapt your home or get special equipment to help you manage around the house.

Keeping warm

There are simple changes you can make around the house to help keep your energy costs down.

Help with energy bills

There are schemes to help you manage the cost of fuel bills and to make energy-saving changes to your home.