These are small, mostly one-off payments to help people with costs caused by or related to their cancer.
Everyone’s practical needs are different, so grants are available for a variety of things. Whether you need extra clothing, help paying heating bills or even a relaxing break, you may be entitled to a Macmillan Grant.
How much you receive will vary depending on your circumstances and needs, but the average grant less than £400. A grant from Macmillan will not affect the benefits you’re entitled to. It’s an extra help, not a replacement for other forms of support.
Who are they for?
You can apply for a Macmillan Grant if you have cancer, or are still seriously affected by your illness or treatment, and both of the following apply:
- Your savings amount to no more than £6,000 if you’re single, or £8,000 as a couple or family.
- You have a low net income once rent, mortgage and council tax have been paid*.
We allow a weekly net income of £170 for a single person, £289 for a couple or household of two people, £85 for each child, and £119 for each additional adult.
*Please note that Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance don’t count as net income in our calculations.
While these are the general criteria, we do take individual circumstances into account, so please contact us.
How to apply
We aim to make our application process as simple and quick as possible.
- You need to apply through a health or social care professional. This may be a social worker, a district nurse or a Macmillan nurse if you have one.
- They’ll fill in a grant application form with you and send it to the Grants team at Macmillan. They will also include a short medical report from your specialist nurse, doctor or consultant.
- The Macmillan Grants team will process your application on the day they receive it.
- If your application is approved, payments are generally sent out within three working days.
Any personal or medical information included in your application will be treated confidentially.
Every week, more than 600 people receive a grant from Macmillan. If you have any questions about Macmillan Grants or if you’re having problems getting someone to fill in an application form with you, please contact us on 0808 808 00 00.