There are different rules about free school meals across the UK.
- In England, school meals are free for all children at state school in reception, year one and year two.
- In Scotland, school meals are free for all children in primary school years one, two and three.
- In Wales, all primary school children can have a free school breakfast.
- In Northern Ireland, contact the Education Authority in your region to find out whether your child qualifies and how to apply.
In England, Scotland and Wales, school meals are free for all children whose parents or carers get certain benefits. These include:
- Universal Credit (if you meet certain criteria)
- Income Support
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or the guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (in certain cases)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
Contact your local council to find out whether your child qualifies and how to apply: