How treatment is planned

In most hospitals a team of specialists will talk to you about the treatment they feel is best for your situation.

This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:

  • a gynaecological oncologist (a surgeon who specialises in gynaecological cancers)
  • a medical oncologist (a doctor who specialises in treating cancer with chemotherapy)
  • a clinical oncologist (a doctor who specialises in treating cancer with radiotherapy and chemotherapy)
  • a radiologist (a doctor who specialises in reading scans)
  • a gynaecology-oncology specialist nurse (clinical nurse specialist), who will be your main contact and will make sure you get help and support throughout your treatment
  • a plastic surgeon (a doctor who specialises in reconstructive surgery)

The MDT may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psychologist or counsellor.

The type of treatment you have is based on:

  • the type of vulval cancer
  • its stage and grade
  • your general health
  • your personal preferences.

Back to Who will be involved in my treatment decision?

Getting a second opinion

There are many reasons for wanting a second opinion about your treatment. Speak to your specialist or GP.

Making a complaint

Talking to your healthcare team can make it easier to cope. If you find talking difficult, there are things you can do.