Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were either:

  • employed in a job that caused a disease
  • employed in a job that caused you to have an accident.

Relevant diseases may include:

  • lung cancer
  • pneumoconiosis (a lung disease caused by breathing in dust)
  • diffuse mesothelioma (a type of cancer caused by asbestos).

You cannot claim this benefit if you were self-employed.

There are also two lump-sum payment schemes for people who have certain dust-related injuries, such as mesothelioma.

If you have mesothelioma that was not caused by work, you may still be able to get a payment. This may have happened, for example, because you washed the clothing of someone who worked with asbestos.

How to claim

  • If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, you can download an application form from You can also call the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre on 0345 758 5433 or use textphone 0345 608 8551 and ask them to send you a form.
  • If you live in Northern Ireland, you can download an application form at You can also ask your local Social Security or Jobs and Benefits office for a form.

To find out more about mesothelioma, you can call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00. Or visit the Mesothelioma UK website for details of local support groups.

Back to Working age benefits

Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance can give you a weekly income if you are unemployed and able to work.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment for people who are on a low income or looking for work in England, Scotland and Wales.