Young carer's assessment

The law says that any young carer (or their family) can ask for a local social worker to visit them and do a young carer’s assessment. The assessment is not a test. It is just a chat to find out what help you and your family might need or want. It may help you if you are struggling to get to school or to spend time with friends.

We have more information about social workers. To find out more about having a young carer’s assessment, visit if you live in England, Scotland or Wales. If you live in Northern Ireland, visit

The Carers Trust has also produced a guide to a young carer’s assessment called Know your rights: support for young carers and young adult carers in England. You can download a copy at

You can also contact your local council to find out more information, or speak to your GP who can refer you for a young carer’s assessment.

The young carers support service provided me with further help due to the information that came out of the assessment. It also meant my family got the support they needed.

Rayna, 17