Support with mortgage interest

You  might be able to get extra help with your mortgage interest payments if you claim:

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit.

These benefits may also cover other housing costs, such as service charges and ground rent. If you have these costs, you should apply for help through your benefit.

Since April 2016, there is a waiting period of 39 weeks (around nine months) between first claiming the benefits above and being able to access the extra help with housing costs.

We have more information and tips about keeping up with your mortgage payments.

Back to Help with bills and housing costs

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit may help you pay for rented accommodation if you are on a low income.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Support can help people in England, Scotland and Wales who are struggling to pay their council tax.