In most hospitals a team of specialists will talk to you about the treatment they feel is best for your situation. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:
- a surgeon (who specialises in your type of cancer)
- a medical oncologist (chemotherapy specialist)
- a clinical oncologist (radiotherapy and chemotherapy specialist)
- a nurse specialist
- radiologists who help to analyse x-rays and scans
- pathologists who advise on the type and extent of the cancer.
It may also include other healthcare professionals, such as a palliative care doctor or nurse who specialises in symptom control, dietitian, physiotherapist, occupational therapist (OT), psychologist or counsellor.
The MDT will take a number of factors into account when advising you on the best course of action, including your general health, the type and size of the tumour, and whether it has begun to spread.