Childcare costs

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is a benefit to help with the cost of looking after children.

Tax Credits are gradually being replaced by Universal Credit. The benefit you should claim will depend on where you live and your situation. Speak to a welfare rights adviser to find out more.

Who can claim

You can claim if you are aged 16 or over. You, and your partner if you have one, must earn below a certain amount. It does not matter whether you are working or not.

You must be responsible for:

  • a child aged under 16
  • a young person aged 16 to 19 who normally lives with you. They must be in full-time education or training. This does not include advanced education, such as university, or training that is paid for by an employer.

If you are living in an area where Universal Credit has been introduced, you can claim that instead.

What you could get

The amount you get from Child Tax Credit will depend on your situation. It could include:

  • A payment for each child of up to £2,780 a year. This is called the child element. If you make a new claim after April 2017, you will normally only get the child element for up to two children.
  • An extra payment for each disabled child of up to £3,140 a year.
  • An extra payment for each severely disabled child of up to £1,275 a year.

How to claim

Call the HMRC tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 or use textphone 0345 300 3909.

Childcare costs

You may get help with the cost of government-approved childcare through Working Tax Credit. How much you get depends on how much you earn. The maximum you can get is £122.50 a week for one child, or £210 a week for two or more children. You can find out more at

If you get Housing Benefit, some of your childcare costs can be taken into account.

Childcare vouchers and employer help

You may need to arrange childcare while you go to appointments, have treatment or deal with side effects. There are different ways to get help with these costs.

If you work, your employer may allow you to pay for childcare using childcare vouchers. This means that you pay for childcare through your salary, but before tax and National Insurance have been taken. This saves you money. Some employers pay childcare costs directly or provide a workplace nursery.

If you are off work temporarily and are getting sick pay, you may continue to get the childcare vouchers or other help. This might be as part of your contract or because you have a sympathetic employer. Talk to the HR department at your work about getting help with childcare costs during sick leave. For more general information about childcare vouchers, visit

There may also be help you can get with looking after children. This could be from:

  • social services – contact your local council in England, Scotland or Wales, or Health and Social Care Trust in Northern Ireland
  • charities such as Home-Start – visit
  • family and friends.

Flexible working may also help, if this is possible for you.

Back to Help with children's costs

Tom's Gift

Tom’s Gift gives children who have been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour a special present in recognition of their bravery and resilience.