Adapting your home and nursing care

Grants for adapting your home

Local councils or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive can give you financial help if you need to repair, improve or adapt your home for health reasons. For example, if you need to install a stair lift or a ramp.

Grants for home adaptations are different across the UK:

  • In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, these grants are called Disabled Facilities Grants. If you live in England or Wales, visit If you live in Northern Ireland, visit
  • In Scotland, you should contact your local council to find out what support they offer. You can find contact details in your phone book or at

There are also grants to help you improve the heating and insulation in your home. These are mainly for people who are disabled, on a low income or aged over 60. We have more information about managing your energy costs.

We also have more information about help with housing costs.

Equipment to help you at home

You may need special equipment or aids to help you manage at home. For example, a raised toilet seat or hand rails. If your doctor or nurse agrees that you need equipment, they can refer you to a social worker who can get it for you. Or you can contact your local social services or social work department directly. They can arrange for a social worker or occupational therapist to assess your needs. They may be able to supply what you need for free.

You can also get general advice and information about all types of equipment from the Disabled Living Foundation.

If you have problems using public transport, there are community transport schemes that could help.

Nursing home charges

People who pay for their own nursing home charges should check whether they are entitled to financial help. Speak to your healthcare professional or call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.

Back to Help with bills and housing costs

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit may help you pay for rented accommodation if you are on a low income.

Council tax support

Council Tax Support can help people in England, Scotland and Wales who are struggling to pay their council tax.

Keeping warm

There are simple changes you can make around the house to help keep your energy costs down.

Help with energy bills

There are schemes to help you manage the cost of fuel bills and to make energy-saving changes to your home.