Disability Living Allowance for adults

You may still be getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you claimed it before:

  • June 2013 in England, Scotland and Wales
  • June 2016 in Northern Ireland.

DLA was for people aged under 65 who had problems walking, moving around outdoors safely, or looking after themselves.

If you are making a new claim and are aged between 16 and 64, you now need to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead. You can still start a new claim for DLA if you are claiming for a child under the age of 16.

If you are still claiming DLA, you will eventually be asked to transfer to PIP. You may be asked to transfer from DLA to PIP earlier if you:

  • reach the end of an award
  • report a change in how your disability or condition affects you
  • are getting DLA for a child who reaches the age of 16.

If you were aged 65 or over on 8 April 2013 and are still receiving DLA, you will not be asked to transfer to PIP.

If you live in Northern Ireland

If you were previously claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in Northern Ireland but are refused Personal Independence Payment (PIP), you can appeal this decision. While you appeal, you will be entitled to a payment equal to the amount of DLA you were receiving.

If you move from DLA to PIP but then get less money, you may be entitled to extra payments to make up some of the difference.

There are other rules around PIP and supplementary payments in Northern Ireland. For more information, visit nidirect.gov.uk

Back to Disability-related benefits

Attendance Allowance

You may be eligible for Attendance Allowance if you are aged 65 or over and have difficulty looking after yourself.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment has replaced Disability Living Allowance in England, Scotland and Wales for people aged 16–64 with a long-term disability.