In most hospitals a team of specialists will talk to you about the treatment they feel is best for your situation. This multidisciplinary team (MDT) will include:
- a dermatologist (skin disease specialist)
- a general surgeon
- a plastic surgeon
- a medical oncologist (chemotherapy specialist)
- a clinical oncologist (radiotherapy and chemotherapy specialist)
- a skin cancer nurse specialist
- radiologists who analyse x-rays and scans
- pathologists who advise on the type and extent of the cancer.
The MDT will take a number of factors into account when advising you on the best course of action, including your general health, any medication you are taking, the type and size of the cancer, where it is on your body and what the cells look like under a microscope. You may be asked if you’d like to take part in a clinical trial.