Other things to think about

Bank accounts

Bank accounts are frozen at the time of death and cannot be used, so you may want to consider putting bank accounts into joint names.


Some private or occupational pension schemes will not pay out any benefits to partners if the owner of the pension scheme was not married. This means that the pension fund is lost. Sometimes people in this situation can transfer their money to a personal arrangement to give them immediate access to their money, or to their partner’s money later. A financial adviser can advise you on how to do this. You can find a local financial adviser by referral from family or friends, looking in your phone book, or by searching online on the findanadviser.org or unbiased.co.uk websites.

Back to Financial information for people whose cancer can't be cured

Other financial help

Some charities and organisations offer grants to people with cancer to help with financial problems.