Attendance Allowance

This benefit is for people aged 65 or over who have problems looking after themselves.

If you are under 65, you should claim Personal Independence Payment instead of Attendance Allowance. 

Who can claim

You may qualify if you have problems with personal care, for example:

  • getting out of bed
  • having a bath
  • dressing yourself
  • needing someone with you to make sure you are safe.

Attendance Allowance is based on the amount of care you need, not the amount of care you get. You don’t need to have a carer to be able to get this benefit. But you must have had these problems for at least six months.

You should also know that:

  • your income and savings are not taken into account for Attendance Allowance
  • if you are awarded Attendance Allowance, your other benefits will not be reduced – they may actually increase, or you may be able to get other benefits, such as Pension Credit.

How much you will get

The benefit is paid at one of two rates:

  • The lower rate of £55.10 a week – for people who need help either during the day or at night.
  • The higher rate of £82.30 a week – for people who need help both during the day and at night.

Attendance Allowance
Attendance Allowance

View a large version

Read a description of this image

Attendance Allowance does not provide help for mobility problems. If you have problems moving around, you may be able to get equipment to help you manage at home or help with transport.

Terminal illness

If you are terminally ill, and may be expected to live for less than six months, you can apply for Attendance Allowance under the special rules. It does not have to be certain and it does not matter if you live longer than six months.

Under these rules, you do not need to have needed care for six months. Your claim will be dealt with quickly and you will get the benefit at the highest rate. All special rules claims for Attendance Allowance are reviewed after three years.

How to claim

In England, Scotland and Wales:

  • Call the DWP’s Attendance Allowance helpline on 0345 605 6055 or textphone 0345 604 5312 and ask them to send you an application form.
  • You can also download and print a form at

In Northern Ireland:

It is a good idea to get help from an experienced welfare rights adviser when filling in your form – call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.

Back to Disability-related benefits

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment has replaced Disability Living Allowance in England, Scotland and Wales for people aged 16–64 with a long-term disability.