Who can help?

Who can help?

Many people are available to help you and your family.

District nurses work closely with GPs and make regular visits to patients and their families at home if needed.

The hospital social worker can give you information about social services and benefits you may be able to claim, such as meals on wheels, a home helper or hospital fares. The social worker may also be able to arrange childcare for you during and after treatment.

In many areas of the country, there are also specialist nurses called palliative care nurses. They are experienced in assessing and treating symptoms of advanced cancer. Palliative care nurses are sometimes known as Macmillan nurses. However, many Macmillan professionals are nurses who have specialist knowledge in a particular type of cancer. You may meet them when you’re at a clinic or in hospital.

Marie Curie nurses help care for people approaching the end of their lives in their own homes. Your GP or hospital specialist nurse can usually arrange a visit by a palliative care or Marie Curie nurse.

There’s also specialist help available to help you cope with the emotional impact of cancer and its treatment. You can ask your hospital doctor or GP to refer you to a doctor or counsellor who specialises in supporting people with cancer and their families.

Our cancer support specialists on 0808 808 00 00 can tell you more about counselling and can let you know about services in your area.

Back to Life after cancer treatment