A common worry people may have is how to keep a wig in place. Although a well-fitting wig should stay in place on its own, here are some tips to give you extra confidence that your wig is secure:
- Use double-sided tape. Wig specialists have hypoallergenic tape that does not irritate the skin. The tape is attached to the underside of the wig and gives a secure but comfortable bond. Surgical spirit can be used to remove any leftover adhesive. Your skin may be very sensitive due to your cancer treatment. Ask your doctor or specialist nurse which tape you can use and whether it is okay to use surgical spirit.
- If you still have some of your own hair, or if it is growing back, it may be possible to keep your wig or hairpiece in place by using special clips in various hair colours. The wig specialist can advise you about this.
- Bend over and shake your head to check your wig or hairpiece is securely in place.
- If it is windy outside, wear a hat or scarf to help secure your wig.
- If you are going to see the doctor for a check-up, wear something that is easy to take off, such as a cardigan or shirt. This is also a good idea when you are shopping and know that you will be trying on clothes.