You need time to recover from treatment and adapt to body changes, especially if they are permanent. Taking care of yourself and your body is important. It may help you develop a more positive body image.
Even if your body looks or feels different, you can feel good about it getting you through treatment. You may find you appreciate what it does for you every day.
Feeling good about yourself makes you more confident and self-accepting. It gives you an attractiveness that’s about more than how you look. You may discover qualities you didn’t know you had or find certain relationships are now closer.
Take time out regularly to do nice things for yourself so your body knows you appreciate it. This could just be having a relaxing bath, going for a massage, or spending time somewhere you find peaceful.
The suggestions below may help your confidence:
- Be kind to yourself.
- Spend time with people who support and encourage you.
- Write down the things you like about yourself and your appearance.
- When you see yourself in your mind, or in a mirror, look at yourself as a whole person. Don’t focus on parts of your body you don’t like.
- Try to replace negative thoughts about your body with positive thoughts.
- Make the most of your best features by using make-up or clothes to draw attention to them. Have your hair styled or keep it groomed.