Who might I meet?

A team of specialists are responsible for planning your treatment. They are called your multidisciplinary team (MDT).

The following people may be involved in planning and giving you your radiotherapy treatment:

  • a clinical oncologist (a doctor who specialises in using chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
  • radiographers (who give you your treatment and provide information)
  • a radiotherapy assistant (who helps the radiographers give you your treatment and provides information and support)
  • a radiologist (who analyses x-rays and scans)
  • a physicist (who works out the amount of radiation you need and how to give it)
  • mould room staff (who make moulds and masks used to help you stay still during treatment)
  • a nurse (who provides support and information during treatment)
  • a key worker (who you contact if you need more information or support).

You may also meet other specialists from the MDT depending on your individual needs. Such as dietitians, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, social workers, symptom control teams, counsellors and physiotherapists.

Radiotherapy team

In most hospitals, a team of the following specialists will be involved in planning and giving your radiotherapy.

A clinical oncologist (cancer specialist)

This is a doctor who is trained in the use of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. They’re responsible for prescribing and supervising your course of treatment. You may see your clinical oncologist before, during and after your course of radiotherapy so that the effect of your treatment can be monitored. If you have any problems between these appointments, the radiographers or nurses can arrange an extra appointment for you.

If you’re having chemotherapy as well as radiotherapy, you may also see a medical oncologist. They are doctors who specialise in chemotherapy and other treatments that use medicines.

Therapeutic radiographers

Therapeutic radiographers are trained in giving radiotherapy. They have an important role in your treatment and will: 

  • work closely with your clinical oncologist and a physicist to plan your treatment 
  • help you into the right position for your planning scan and treatment 
  • operate the radiotherapy machines that give you your treatment 
  • provide information, practical care and support throughout your treatment.

You will get to know a team of radiographers throughout your course of treatment. You can discuss any concerns or anxieties about your treatment with them.

If you prefer to be treated by a radiographer of the same sex as you, ask the radiographer when you go to your planning appointment. Most centres will try to accommodate this, although it may mean a slight delay each time you go for treatment.

Treatment review radiographers

Some radiotherapy departments have specialist radiographers who you will see during and near the end of your radiotherapy treatment. They provide advice and care in a clinic room, away from the busy treatment room.

Specialist radiographers

Some hospitals have specialist radiographers who are experts in treating specific types of cancer or working with particular groups of patients, such as children. If you have a specialist radiographer, they will be involved in all stages of your radiotherapy treatment. This includes planning, giving radiotherapy and providing support.

Information and support radiographers

Some hospitals have information and support radiographers. They are experts in providing you and your family with practical and emotional support.

Radiotherapy assistants

Some radiotherapy departments have radiotherapy assistants. They help the radiographers give you your treatment. They can also provide information and support.


A radiologist is a specialist doctor who interprets scans. They will review your scans with your clinical oncologist. This helps your clinical oncologist plan your treatment.


A physicist is a radiation expert who works closely with your clinical oncologist to plan your treatment. They work out the amount of radiation you need and the best way of giving it.

The physicist is also responsible for carrying out regular checks on the radiotherapy equipment. You may not meet the physicist, as they usually work behind the scenes.

Mould room staff

These may be technicians or specially trained radiographers. They make moulds and masks, which are sometimes needed to help you stay still during your treatment.

Moulds and masks are usually made in a mould room. In some centres, they may be made in the planning room.


Some radiotherapy clinics have nurses who give information about the treatment and its side effects. They may also give advice on skin care and medicines to manage side effects.

Many cancer centres have specialist cancer nurses, sometimes called clinical nurse specialists (CNSs), who have expert knowledge about your type of cancer. They can also be a good source of support and information during your treatment.

Your key worker

Usually, one of the radiographers or nurses who look after you will be named as your key worker. This is the person to contact if you need more information or support. If you’re not sure who your key worker is, ask someone at your next appointment.

Other health professionals

Other health professionals who may be involved in your care include:

  • a dietitian
  • a speech and language therapist
  • a physiotherapist
  • an occupational therapist
  • a symptom control team (palliative care team)
  • a social worker
  • a counsellor.

Back to Radiotherapy explained