Personal Independence Payment

To qualify for Personal Independence Payment, you must have had difficulties moving around or caring for yourself for three months. You must expect these difficulties to last for more than nine months. You can claim Personal Independence Payment whether you are working or not.

If you claim Personal Independence Payment, your mobility will be assessed by a health professional. It is based on how the disability affects you, not on the condition you have.

There are two components to Personal Independence Payment:

  • A daily living component, which includes help with preparing food, bathing and dressing. You will receive either £55.10 or £82.30 per week.
  • A mobility component, if you need help getting around. You will receive either £21.80 or £57.45 per week.

If you already get Disability Living Allowance, you will eventually be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment.

You can make a claim by calling the DWP on 0800 917 2222.

In Northern Ireland the introduction of PIP is still under consideration. The latest news on the reforms can be found at

Personal Independence Payment (Non means tested/non contribution-based)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit for people aged 16–64. It is for people who have difficulty moving around and caring for themselves.

If you are aged 65 or over, you should claim Attendance Allowance instead of PIP.

In England, Scotland and Wales, PIP replaces an older benefit called Disability Living Allowance (DLA). If you are aged 16–64 and making a new claim, you will need to apply for PIP. People who already get DLA will be reassessed for PIP at some point before 2017. In Northern Ireland you can still claim DLA.

Who can claim

To get PIP, you must have difficulties moving around or caring for yourself. You must have had these difficulties for three months before you qualify and expect them to last for at least nine months.

PIP is based on how your condition affects you, not on the condition you have. It has two parts:

  • the daily living component
  • the mobility component.

You may get one or both parts.

The daily living component is for people who have difficulty with:

  • preparing food
  • eating and drinking
  • taking medicines, having treatments or monitoring a
  • health condition
  • washing and bathing
  • using the toilet or managing incontinence
  • dressing and undressing
  • speaking with other people
  • reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
  • engaging with others face to face
  • making financial decisions.

The mobility component is for people who have difficulty:

  • planning and going on journeys
  • moving around.

You can claim PIP whether you are working or not. Receiving it doesn’t reduce other benefits. In some cases your other benefits may actually increase.


PIP claims include an assessment of individual needs by a health professional. Most people will have a face-to-face consultation as part of their claim. You can take a family member or friend with you to the consultation for support if you want.

The assessment looks at how well you can move around and do daily activities. You must also be likely to meet the requirements of this assessment for the majority of the time. When the DWP assesses your claim, it looks at whether you are able to carry out certain activities:

  • safely
  • repeatedly
  • to an acceptable standard
  • within a reasonable period of time.

Awards will also be reviewed regularly based on how likely it is that your condition or disability will change.

How much you’ll get

Each component can be paid weekly at either a standard rate or an enhanced rate, depending on your needs:

RateWeekly daily living componentWeekly mobility component

Terminal illness

If you’re terminally ill and not expected to live for more than six months, you can apply for PIP under the special rules. Under these rules, you don’t need to have had mobility or care problems for three months. Your claim will be dealt with quickly and you’ll receive the daily living component at the enhanced rate. If you qualify, you’ll also be able to apply for the mobility component and receive it immediately.

How to claim

You can make a claim by calling the DWP on 0800 917 2222. You’ll need to have some basic information ready, such as:

  • your national insurance number 
  • details of healthcare contacts (such as your GP) 
  • your bank account details. 

You won’t have to answer any detailed questions about your health when you call. If you can’t phone the DWP yourself, someone else can call for you, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

The DWP will then post you a form that will ask you to explain how your disability or health condition affects you. It’s a good idea to get help from an experienced welfare rights adviser to fill the form in. You can do this by calling the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00. Or see whether you can see a Macmillan welfare rights adviser in person through a local service. It’s also a good idea to get evidence about your illness.

Welfare reform in Northern Ireland

The benefits system is changing across the UK. Some changes that have already happened in England, Scotland and Wales (such as the introduction of PIP) are still being debated in Northern Ireland.

The latest news on the reforms can be found on our welfare reform page and also at

Macmillan Cancer Support, in partnership with Citizens Advice, provides a dedicated Welfare Rights Service to people affected by cancer in Northern Ireland. For information and support, or to arrange an appointment, please call 0300 1 233 233. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am-12.30pm and 1pm-4pm.

You can also call the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00.

For benefits information and support in Northern Ireland please visit or call 0800 232 1271.

You can also contact the Northern Ireland Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 220 674, or textphone 028 9031 1092 if you are deaf or hard of hearing.

Back to Disability-related benefits

Attendance Allowance

You may be eligible for Attendance Allowance if you are aged 65 or over and have difficulty looking after yourself.